FYI every month this year I’m writing about any big news & happenings in the Interwebz and WordPress worlds, new favorite tools to get more done swiftly, and maintenance tips & best practices to keep your WordPress happy and your website working as your reliable 24/7 salesperson so you can get the tech right quickly and focus on the money-making parts of your business.
And now it’s time the June edition of Keep Your WordPress Website Happy! Ready, set, summer!
Keep Your WordPress Website Happy: Essential Tips – June 2017
What’s up in da Interwebz?
If you’re a web developer, web designer, or virtual assistant who’s thought of offering Google Analytics reports + data as a service to your clients, but have no idea how… there’s a podcast episode that will answer that for you!
Google Analytics genius Cinthia Pacheco of Digimorphs did an upside down interview on her podcast where I asked her my questions on how to do it. We came up with actionable, effective examples of how you can help your clients sell more with your help.
If you’re looking to become more valuable as a strategist and partner to your clients, instead of just a pixel-pusher, check out The Digitally Overwhelmed Podcast episode 37 here. You can also find it on iTunes here.
Get ready to take notes on where to find useful reports and what types of things to include in a report for your clients! FYI this is for a website built on any platform or CMS, so whether it’s a WordPress website or not!
P.S. Today is the last day to sign up for her epic Google Analytics course for web designers/developers + VAs! Check out the podcast episode to learn more about how valuable GA knowledge is these days, especially as part of a strong holistic SEO strategy.
What’s up in the WordPress world?
WordPress 4.8 includes three new widgets to easily add images, video, and audio to your WordPress website without code. Pretty neat!
So once you’ve updated to 4.8, simply go to Appearance > Widgets and under “Available Widgets” you’ll see new options (Audio, Image, and Video) that you can pull into your widget areas. You’ll even find a new Text widget where you can format your text without HTML, just like when you go to publish a post or page.
Curious about all the additions to WP 4.8? Click over to WP Tavern for more.
New favorite WordPress website tools
Holler Box is a new plugin to quickly set up a non-obnoxious bottom-right pop-up, notify peeps of a limited-time offer (Summer sales, y’all!), event, or even a “live chat” function (not really – users can type in a question and you follow up later). You can also set up forms for surveys, testimonials, or straight-up contact.
Until now, it was kind of a hassle to do any of this – you’d have to code it or use separate plugins fore ach function and ideally test them all in a staging/test environment first. Now you can try Holler Box (and if you do, please leave a comment letting me know how you liked it!).
There’s also a paid version of Holler Box with additional customizations, such as adding a banner across the top of your site that tracks conversions and disappears once your promotion ends. BAM! Coolness!
Monthly WordPress Website Maintenance Best Practices
Only got 5 minutes? That’s okay! Got 30? Even better! Either way, we can help keep WordPress website happy and humming along helping your biz grow 24/7 with less effort.
Here’s what you need to do this month to keep your WordPress website happy and working for you without a hitch:
- If you’re not on managed hosting that handles your security (if you don’t know whether you are or not, you’re not) then make sure you’re using a security plugin like Wordfence or Sucuri, and once a month quickly run your site through a security filter like Sucuri’s: http://sitecheck.sucuri.net/
- Check for broken links automatically with the free Broken Link Checker plugin
- Make sure your backups are running smoothly so you have a Plan B if disaster strikes (I like Backup Buddy and UpdraftPlus). Restore one every month to ensure they’re working properly and you can rely on them if needed.
- Haven’t gotten a message through your contact form in the past few weeks? Test it!
- Haven’t gotten a new subscriber in a little while? Test your opt-in forms! And work on increasing your website traffic and optimizing your social media traffic while you’re at it if you want to convert visitors into more signups ;)